Do you need some assistance to get food for yourself or your family? Do you know if you are eligible for CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps) benefits? Do you have questions about how to apply for benefits or about the benefits you currently have? Here are some resources to help you navigate the process of receiving benefits.
For general information:
Call (877) 847-3663 or visit https://www.cdss.ca.gov/calfresh
California Guide to Food Benefits – detailed info from Legal Services of Northern California
In Sacramento County, contact firstname.lastname@example.org, call 916-890-4191, or visit one of Alchemist’s CalFresh/EBT Processing farmers’ market booths to learn more about CalFresh, be pre-screened for eligibility and receive one-on-one help with the application. Para español, llama 916-204-8260.
To manage your benefits:
- You may be categorically eligible if you are receiving CalWORKs, General Assistance (GA), or General Relief (GR).
- You may qualify for expedited service and receive your CalFresh benefits within three (3) days if you meet the requirements.
- When your application has been turned in, the county welfare department will set up an interview to go over your application. Here is a list of documents you will need to bring to your interview.
Find the CalFresh application in your language:
- CalFresh Application
- استمارة طلب طابع الغذاء
- Պարենային կտրոնների դիմում
- درخواست نامه فود استمپ
- Daim Ntawv Thov Nyiaj Muas Noj
- 한국 출원
- Food Stamp Nyei Formh
- Aplicação portuguesa
- ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਐਪਲੀਕੇਸ਼ਨ
- Анкета для запроса талонов на питание
- Solicitud para beneficios de estampillas para comida
- Aplikasyon Para sa Food Stamp
- Українська заявка
- Đơn Xin Trợ Cấp Phiếu Thực Phẩm
Department of Human Assistance (916) 874-2072
2-1-1 – Info line provides referrals to more than 2,400 community services in the Sacramento area
Department of Employment & Social Services (530) 661-2750
What can you buy with your benefits? Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:
|Foods for the household to eat, such as:|
|—||breads and cereals;|
|—||fruits and vegetables;|
|—||meats, fish and poultry; and|
|—||Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.|
In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.
Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:
|Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco;|
|Any nonfood items, such as:|
|—||soaps, paper products; and|
|Vitamins and medicines.|
|Food that will be eaten in the store.|