Do you need some assistance to get food for yourself or your family? Do you know if you are eligible for CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps) benefits? Do you have questions about how to apply for benefits or about the benefits you currently have? Here are some resources  to help you navigate the process of receiving benefits.

For assistance:

In Sacramento County, contact, call 916-890-4191, or visit one of Alchemist’s CalFresh/EBT Processing farmers’ market booths to learn more about CalFresh, be pre-screened for eligibility and receive one-on-one help with the application. Para español, llama 916-204-8260.

Applications for CalFresh benefits

To apply for CalFresh online, go to:

  • You may be categorically eligible if you are receiving CalWORKs, General Assistance (GA), or General Relief (GR).
  • You may qualify for expedited service and receive your CalFresh benefits within three (3) days if you meet the requirements.
  • When your application has been turned in, the county welfare department will set up an interview to go over your application. Here is a list of documents you will need to bring to your interview.

Find the CalFresh application in your language:

For general information:

Call (877) 847-3663 or visit

California Guide to Food Benefits – detailed info from Legal Services of Northern California

Sacramento County

Department of Human Assistance (916) 874-2072

2-1-1 – Info line provides referrals to more than 2,400 community services in the Sacramento area

CalFresh Program Brochure

Yolo County

Department of Employment & Social Services  (530) 661-2750

Yolo County CalFresh web page

To manage your benefits:

My Benefits CalWin

E-Benefits California Website

How do I use my benefits?
Many grocery stores, convenience stores, and farmers markets accept CalFresh benefits via the EBT (electronic benefits transfer) card, which works like an ATM card.

What can you buy with your benefits? Households CAN use SNAP benefits to buy:

Foods for the household to eat, such as:
breads and cereals;
fruits and vegetables;
meats, fish and poultry; and
dairy products.
Seeds and plants which produce food for the household to eat.

In some areas, restaurants can be authorized to accept SNAP benefits from qualified homeless, elderly, or disabled people in exchange for low-cost meals.

Households CANNOT use SNAP benefits to buy:

Beer, wine, liquor, cigarettes or tobacco;
Any nonfood items, such as:
pet foods;
soaps, paper products; and
household supplies.
Vitamins and medicines.
Food that will be eaten in the store.
Hot foods.