Natomas Farmers’ Market EBT/CalFresh Associate (Sacramento, CA)
Expected Hourly Commitment: Limited term and part time, ~6-8 hours/week
Schedule: Work schedule is 7:30am – 12:30pm, Saturdays, at the Natomas Farmers’ Market +1-2 hours/week for paperwork and outreach at variable times (paperwork and outreach hours are flexible and remote.)
Location: 2501 New Market Drive, Sacramento CA 95835.
Additional work will be completed remotely. Other possible on-call hours may be available at various Sacramento County farmers’ market sites depending on your availability.
Start Date: August 13, 2022
End Date: September 24, 2022
*additional program work may be available after the Natomas market closes for the season
Alchemist CDC is a 501c3 non-profit serving the Sacramento Region. Our mission is to connect the community to land, food and opportunity. Our three program areas include CalFresh access at farmers’ markets, a food business training and incubator program, and community garden/green space development. The CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets Program is our longest operating program and strives to make locally grown and produced foods accessible and affordable to food insecure households. Farmers’ Markets are a great asset to communities, and can lead to improved health for area residents. By making it easier for lower-income populations to purchase food at farmers’ markets, these community assets will become more equitable and accessible to all individuals. We deliver this program at 8 farmers’ markets and partner with other market operators in the region to implement food benefit access and nutrition incentive programs. This program relies on volunteers to support our small but mighty team comprised of: 4 Program Associates, 1 Program Assistant 1 Program Coordinator and 1 Program Manager.
Program Associates are responsible for the implementation of CalFresh/Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) payment processing and distribution of Market Match Incentive vouchers at the farmers’ market. CalFresh/EBT offers qualifying lower income individuals financial assistance in purchasing food for themselves and their families. This position provides an opportunity to learn more about food access and nutrition issues, engage directly with low-income individuals and small to mid-sized California farmers. Note: this description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
● Ensure vendor and customer compliance with federal guidelines for accepting CalFresh.
● Setup, staff and take down CalFresh distribution booth weekly at the farmers’ market.
● Oversee program volunteers and assign tasks.
● Promote participation in the program amongst eligible vendors at the market.
● Inform customers about the Market Match incentive program.
● Carry out community outreach tasks by building connections with local service organizations and community facilities as assigned.
● Complete sales and customer tracking forms weekly.
● Provide CalFresh eligibility information and application assistance.
● Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Pashto, Vietnamese or Chinese.)
● Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people.
● Basic math skills are very important.
● Detail oriented and highly organized.
● Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision.
● Must have reliable verifiable transportation. ● Must be able to transport and operate a pop-up canopy tent, folding table, chairs and an equipment bin that may weigh up to 30lbs.
● Familiarity with community, its geography, demographics and community resources is beneficial.
● Must be computer literate.
● You will be required to store the booth equipment during the week between market days (fits in a ~3×3 ft. space) and transport it to/from the market using your own vehicle (easily fits in most compact cars). [1 pop-up canopy, small folding table, storage bin]
Send resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and/or status as a protected veteran.
**Note that Alchemist CDC has a COVID-19 vaccine mandate policy in place. The selected applicant will be required to show proof of full vaccination and 1 booster – (or valid verifiable exemption) before their employment begins.