Country Club Plaza & Sunrise Station Farmers’ Market
CalFresh Associate (Sacramento, CA)
Expected Hourly Commitment: Part time. ~6-8 hours/week
Schedule: Work schedule is 7:30am-12:30pm Saturdays +1-3 hours/week for paperwork and outreach at variable times (paperwork and outreach hours are flexible.)
Location: Most work will take place at the Country Club Plaza Farmers’ Market in Arden Arcade: 2405 Butano Dr, Sacramento, CA 95825 and the Sunrise Station Farmers’ Market in Rancho Cordova: 11163 Folsom Blvd, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742.
Additional work will be completed remotely. Other possible on-call hours may be available at various Sacramento County farmers’ market sites depending on your availability.
Start Date: July 2, 2022 or as soon as available
Program Associates are responsible for the implementation of CalFresh/Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) payment processing and distribution of Market Match Incentive vouchers at the farmers’ market. CalFresh/EBT offers qualifying lower income individuals financial assistance in purchasing food for themselves and their families. This position provides an opportunity to learn more about food access and nutrition issues, engage directly with low-income individuals and small to mid-sized California farmers. Note: this description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Ensure vendor and customer compliance with federal guidelines for accepting CalFresh.
- Setup, staff and take down CalFresh distribution booth at one farmers’ market site per week.
- Oversee program volunteers and assign tasks
- Promote participation in the program amongst eligible vendors at the market.
- Inform customers about the Market Match incentive program.
- Carry out community outreach tasks by building connections with local service organizations and community facilities as assigned.
- Complete sales and customer tracking forms weekly.
- Provide CalFresh eligibility information and application assistance.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Pashto or Chinese.)
- Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people.
- Basic math skills are very important.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision.
- Must have reliable verifiable transportation.
- Must be able to transport and operate a pop-up canopy tent, folding table, chairs and an equipment bin that may weigh up to 30lbs.
- Familiarity with community, its geography, demographics and community resources is beneficial.
- Must be computer literate.
- You will be required to store the booth equipment during the week between market days (fits in a ~3×3 ft. space) and transport it to/from the market using your own vehicle (easily fits in most compact cars). [1 pop-up canopy, small folding table, equipment bin]
To apply: Send resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position.
Send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and/or status as a protected veteran.
**Note that Alchemist CDC has a COVID-19 vaccine mandate policy in place. The selected applicant will be required to show proof of full vaccination and 1 booster – (or valid verifiable exemption) before their employment begins.