Garden Coordinator – Part-time
HOURS: Part-time, 10-15 hours/week. Work days and times will be determined by need and will include evenings and weekends. Most hours will be at a garden site with nominal time spent in the office or working remotely.
COMPENSATION: $15-17/hour DOE
LOCATION: Office is located in south Sacramento (95820), gardens are in Oak Park-Pansy Community Garden Park 3601 Pansy Ave, Oak Park Art Garden 3834 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. and Oak Park Sol 3733 Broadway.
REPORTS TO: Neighborhood Empowerment Manager
The Garden Coordinator will oversee activities at the gardens listed above. These gardens serve residents of Oak Park, and other communities, offering space for gardening, composting, volunteering, learning, expressing themselves, community building, and gathering. The Garden Coordinator will help plan and manage these activities in concert with the Neighborhood Empowerment Manager. The Garden Coordinator works within the guidelines, policies and mission of Alchemist CDC, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.
Alchemist CDC is a mission-driven organization that connects Sacramento area communities to land, food, and opportunity – toward a vision in which all neighborhoods are vibrant, equitable, healthy, and diverse. We are best known for enhancing the quality of life in under-resourced communities by improving access to nutritious foods, implementing community-supported public green spaces, and fostering economic self-sufficiency through business entrepreneurship. Recognizing that community residents often have the best insight and ideas for addressing their own community’s needs, we see ourselves as building a trellis that provides the structure and support upon which grassroots efforts can flourish and grow. Learn more about our organization and programs at: https://alchemistcdc.org/
This position is responsible for managing all aspects of Alchemist CDC’s Community Gardens including management of plots, volunteers, and special events. They will also be responsible for reporting maintenance issues to management. Note: this description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Oversee and coordinate volunteer workdays.
- Oversee and coordinate special events as necessary.
- Ensure garden plots are assigned, paid for, and all paperwork is collected.
- Setup, staff and clean up for volunteer days and other events.
- Respond to and report maintenance issues
- Community outreach.
- Interest in and, preferably, experience with gardening.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Bi-lingual a plus.
- Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision.
- Familiarity with the Oak Park community, its geography, demographics and community resources is beneficial.
- Must be computer literate.
Send resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and/or status as a protected veteran.
**Note that Alchemist CDC has a COVID-19 vaccine mandate policy in place. The selected applicant will be required to show proof of full vaccination – (or valid verifiable exemption) before their employment begins.