Food Access and Farmers’ Market Associate
(Elk Grove, CA & Sacramento, CA)
EXPECTED HOURLY COMMITMENT: Part time. ~15-19 hours/week
COMPENSATION: $15.00-$20.00/hour (see more in description)
SCHEDULE: Work schedule is 7:30am-12:30pm Saturdays in Elk Grove +1-3 hours/week for paperwork and outreach at variable times (paperwork and outreach hours are flexible.) Mondays in Oak Park coordinating volunteer program and food box delivery.
LOCATION: Most work will take place at the Laguna Blvd Farmers’ Market: 8245 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758 and 3565 9th Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95817.
Additional work will be completed remotely.
START DATE: January/February 2022
This position will be serving 2 important food access programs in the Sacramento region: CalFresh/EBT access at the Laguna Blvd Farmers’ Market in Elk Grove and emergency food distribution in the Oak Park neighborhood of Sacramento.
CalFresh Access programming is managed by Alchemist CDC, a 501c3 non-profit serving the Sacramento Region. (https://alchemistcdc.org/calfresh-at-farmers-markets/) This program makes locally grown and produced foods accessible and affordable to food insecure households, by making farmers’ markets more equitable and accessible to all. We operate at 8 farmers’ markets and rely on a team of volunteers to support our staff and customers. Work for this program is $15/hr and ~6-8 hours every Saturday + 1-3 hours remote work. (Total 6-10 hours/week for this project)
Emergency food box deliveries are managed by Community Connections 95820 (https://www.communityconnections95820.org/), a project serving families in the 95820 ZIP code of the Oak Park neighborhood who are food insecure. This program identifies families with barriers to accessing traditional food distribution sites, and sources high quality produce and grocery items, which are delivered to their homes on a weekly basis. This program was created at the onset of COVID-19, and will be ending in November or December 2022. Work on this program is at $20/hr for ~3-5 hours every Monday + 3-5 additional hours remotely. (total 6-10 hours/week for this project)
This position is responsible for the implementation of CalFresh/ EBT payment processing and distribution of vouchers at the farmers’ market, as well as coordination of weekly produce distribution and volunteers for grocery delivery. This position provides an opportunity to learn more about food access and nutrition issues, engage directly with low-income individuals and small to mid-sized California farmers. Note: this description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Oversee and coordinate program volunteers.
- Complete sales and data tracking forms weekly.
- Ensure program compliance with federal guidelines for CalFresh.
- Setup, staff and take down CalFresh distribution booth weekly
- Provide CalFresh eligibility information and application assistance.
- Planning and organizing weekly grocery deliveries.
- Community outreach.
- Plan out weekly produce orders for 25+ families.
- Occasionally deliver food boxes if there are insufficient volunteer drivers.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Pashto or Chinese.)
- Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people.
- Basic math skills are very important.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision.
- Must have your own reliable verifiable transportation (including valid driver license and auto insurance – mileage reimbursement provided for non-commute trips.)
- Must be able to transport and operate a pop-up canopy tent, folding table, chairs and an equipment bin that may weigh up to 30 lbs.
- Familiarity with community, its geography, demographics and community resources is beneficial.
- Must be computer literate.
- You will be required to store the booth equipment during the week between market days (fits in a ~3×3 ft. space) and transport it to/from the market using your own vehicle (easily fits in most compact cars). [1 pop-up canopy, small folding table, storage bin]
Send resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to email@example.com
Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and/or status as a protected veteran.
**Note that Alchemist CDC has a COVID-19 vaccine mandate policy in place. The selected applicant will be required to show proof of full vaccination – (or valid verifiable exemption) before their employment begins.