EXPECTED HOURLY COMMITMENT: Part time. ~14-19 hours/week
COMPENSATION: $16.50-$20.00/hour (see more in description)
SCHEDULE: Work schedule is 7:30am-12:30pm Saturdays in Elk Grove +1-3 hours/week for paperwork and outreach at variable times (paperwork and outreach hours are flexible.) Mondays 8:30am-1pm in South Sacramento coordinating volunteer program and food box delivery +1-4 hours/week remotely.
LOCATION: Most work will take place at the Laguna Blvd Farmers’ Market: 8245 Laguna Blvd, Elk Grove, CA 95758 and in the 95820 ZIP code area of south Sacramento. Additional work will be completed remotely.
START DATE: December 2022 (ASAP)
This position will be serving 2 important food access programs in the Sacramento region:
- CalFresh/EBT access at the Laguna Blvd Farmers’ Market in Elk Grove and emergency food distribution in the South Sacramento area. CalFresh Access programming is managed by Alchemist CDC, a 501c3 non-profit serving the Sacramento Region. This program makes locally grown and produced foods accessible and affordable to food insecure households, by making farmers’ markets more equitable and accessible to all. We operate at 8 farmers’ markets and rely on a team of volunteers to support our staff and customers. Work for this program is $16.50-17.50/hr and ~6-8 hours every Saturday.
- Emergency food box deliveries are managed by Community Connections 95820 project, serving families in the 95820 zip code of Oak Park who are food insecure. This program identifies families with barriers to accessing food distribution sites, and sources high quality produce and grocery items to deliver on a weekly basis. Work for this program is $20/hr and ~5-8 hours per week. (You must be available to be on site Mondays between ~8:30am-1pm, with additional work completed remotely).
This position is responsible for the implementation of CalFresh/ EBT payment processing and distribution of vouchers at the farmers’ market, as well as coordination of weekly produce distribution and volunteer coordination for food delivery. This position provides an opportunity to learn more about food access and nutrition issues, engage directly with low-income individuals and essential functions, it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
- Oversee and coordinate program volunteers.
- Complete sales and data tracking forms weekly.
- Ensure program compliance with federal guidelines for CalFresh.
- Setup, staff and take down CalFresh distribution booth weekly
- Provide CalFresh eligibility information and application assistance.
- Planning and organizing weekly grocery deliveries.
- Engage in promotional outreach.
- Plan out weekly produce orders for 25+ families.
- Occasionally participate in grocery deliveries if low on volunteer drivers.
- Must be fluent in spoken and written English. Bi-lingual a plus (especially Spanish, Dari/Farsi, Pashto or Chinese.)
- Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people.
- Basic math skills are very important.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Self-motivated and able to stay on task with minimal supervision.
- Must have reliable verifiable transportation.
- Must be able to transport and operate a pop-up canopy tent, folding table, chairs and an equipment bin that may weigh up to 30lbs.
- Familiarity with community, its geography, demographics and community resources is beneficial.
- Must be computer literate.
- You will be required to store the booth equipment during the week between market days (fits in a ~3×3 ft. space) and transport it to/from the market using your own vehicle (easily fits in most compact cars). [1 pop-up canopy, small folding table, storage bin]
Send resume and brief cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org
Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, and/or status as a protected veteran.
Alchemist CDC requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they qualify for an exemption (fully vaccinated = completed first round of vaccinations plus at least one booster). Work at the farmers markets or when working indoors with others requires staff and volunteers to be masked.