Thank you for considering Alchemist CDC! We have no open opportunities at this time.
CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets Internship Program:
Applications for fall internship positions are now closed. Applications for spring internships will open on December 1, 2020. Spring internships will run from the last week of January 2021 through the end of May 2021.
Alchemist CDC continually seeks qualifying candidates for our seasonal CalFresh internships throughout the year (spring, summer, and fall). Major requirements and tasks listed below.
- Must be a college student or recent college graduate
- Basic math skills required
- Must be courteous, outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-motivated
Position requirements and major tasks:
- Staff CalFresh scrip distribution table at one Sacramento County farmers’ market each week
- Ensure compliance with federal guidelines for accepting CalFresh
- Promote program to eligible customers and vendors
- Inform qualifying farmers’ market shoppers about CalFresh eligibility and application guidelines
- Staff information table at occasional community events (events may be suspended due to COVID-19 pandemic)
- Develop and implement strategies for community outreach to promote CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets program to eligible CalFresh recipients
- Train new volunteers and lead experienced volunteers
- Complete weekly record-keeping
Time Commitment: 6-7 hours per week, including staffing one farmers’ market. Applicants must meet the following availability requirements for duration of internship:
- Saturday mornings through 12:30 or 1:30 PM (multiple opportunities available)
Opportunities for other farmers’ market days may become available for internships once Saturday positions are filled.
Compensation: Unpaid. Mileage/transportation reimbursement provided up to $100/month and up to 17 miles one-way.
Please note: for the continued safety of the public and in compliance with the California Department of Public Health, Alchemist CDC currently requires all farmers’ market interns, staff, and volunteers to wear well-fitting face masks or face coverings while at the farmers’ market. Additional personal protective equipment for farmers’ market booths (ie. tent walls, gloves) will gladly be provided by request.
Our CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets internship is open to all majors in all undergraduate levels and recent college graduates. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. This posting highlights the major requirements and tasks but is not entirely inclusive of full internship details, and complete details will be covered during the interview process. Alchemist CDC values diversity among its workforce and internship program, and is an equal opportunity employer.
More about internships with Alchemist CDC:
Alchemist CDC regularly works with college and university students (pre and post-graduate) to offer them an exciting opportunity to work directly with community members. Students gain hands-on work and service experience, and Alchemist’s projects benefit greatly from the knowledge and enthusiasm of its interns.
It’s wonderful to see Alchemist volunteers and interns go on to do exciting new things, and it’s safe to say the experience one gains working with us can help build careers in community service. For example, Amy Edmonds, who completed an internship with us, went on to work for the Ecology Center’s Farmers’ Market EBT Program as Program Assistant and is currently an Analyst at the Department of Family and Community Medicine at UCSF. Some other intern success stories include one who went on to work for an urban gardening non-profit educating youth on gardening; another has served on our board of directors for six years.
Alchemist CDC is also open to crafting an internship position around your academic and career goals, focusing on such skills and programs as: policy change, community outreach and engagement, social justice collaboration, vacant lot revitalization, marketing, evaluations, and social media.