Thank you for considering Alchemist CDC! We have no open opportunities at this time.
CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets Internship Program:
Alchemist CDC is seeking Fall 2020 interns for our CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets program. Internship start date is September 26, 2020 and will run through January of 2021. Applications for fall internship positions open August 17, 2020.
- Must be a college student or recent college graduate
- Basic math skills required
- Must be courteous, outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-motivated
Position requirements and major tasks:
- Staff CalFresh scrip distribution table at one farmers’ market each week
- Ensure compliance with federal guidelines for accepting CalFresh
- Promote program to eligible customers and vendors
- Inform qualifying farmers’ market shoppers about CalFresh eligibility and application guidelines
- Staff information table at occasional community events (events may be suspended due to COVID-19 pandemic)
- Develop and implement strategies for community outreach to promote CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets program to eligible CalFresh recipients
- Train new volunteers and lead experienced volunteers
- Complete weekly record-keeping
Time Commitment: 10 hours per week, including staffing one farmers’ market. Applicants must meet one of the following availability requirements for duration of internship:
- Thursday mornings through 1pm (one opportunity available)
- Saturday mornings through 1 or 2pm (multiple opportunities available)
- Sunday mornings through 1pm (one opportunity available)
Compensation: Unpaid. Mileage/transportation reimbursement provided up to $100/month.
Please note: for the continued safety of the public and in compliance with the California Department of Public Health, Alchemist CDC currently requires all farmers’ market interns, staff, and volunteers to wear well-fitting face masks or face coverings while at the farmers’ market. Additional personal protective equipment for farmers’ market booths (ie. tent walls, gloves) will gladly be provided by request.
Our CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets internship is open to all majors in all undergraduate levels and recent college graduates. Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. This posting highlights the major requirements and tasks but is not entirely inclusive of full internship details, and complete details will be covered during the interview process. Alchemist CDC is an equal employment opportunity employer.
More about internships with Alchemist CDC:
Alchemist CDC regularly works with college and university students (pre and post-graduate) to offer them an exciting opportunity to work directly with community members. Students gain hands-on work and service experience, and Alchemist’s projects benefit greatly from the knowledge and enthusiasm of its interns.
It’s wonderful to see Alchemist volunteers and interns go on to do exciting new things, and it’s safe to say the experience one gains working with us can help build careers in community service. For example, Amy Edmonds, who completed an internship with us, went on to work for the Ecology Center’s Farmers’ Market EBT Program as Program Assistant and is currently an Analyst at the Department of Family and Community Medicine at UCSF. Some other intern success stories include one who went on to work for an urban gardening non-profit educating youth on gardening; another has served on our board of directors for six years.
Alchemist CDC is also open to crafting an internship position around your academic and career goals, focusing on such skills and programs as: policy change, community outreach and engagement, social justice collaboration, vacant lot revitalization, marketing, evaluations, and social media.