CalFresh at Farmers’ Markets Internships at the following markets:
- Cesar Chavez Farmers’ Market
- Florin Farmers’ Market
- Fremont Farmers’ Market
- Sunrise Lightrail Station Farmers’ Market
Internship terms available in 4, 6, 9 and 12 month terms
COMPENSATION: Unpaid. Mileage/transportation reimbursement provided.
Alchemist CDC works at 13 farmers’ markets in Sacramento County [and 2 in adjacent counties] to facilitate the use of Calfresh (food-stamps) benefits through customers’ Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card. We provide a scrip system that is easy to use for both customers and vendors. The CalFresh program (also known as SNAP, EBT or food stamps) offers qualifying lower income individuals financial assistance in purchasing food for themselves and their families, but it takes facilitators like Alchemist CDC to make it possible for the benefits to be used with the vendors at farmers markets who aren’t set up to process electronic payments. Our work gives CalFresh beneficiaries access to fresh, local, affordable produce and brings additional customers to help the markets and farmers thrive.
This effort aligns with Alchemist CDC’s vision of a vibrant, equitable and diverse urban Sacramento. Farmers’ Markets are a great asset to communities, benefit surrounding businesses, and can lead to improved health for area residents.
Staff CalFresh scrip distribution table at one farmers’ market each week.
- Promote program to farmer vendors at markets.
- Inform customers about CalFresh eligibility and application guidelines.
- Staff information table at occasional community events.
- Ensure compliance with Federal guidelines for accepting CalFresh.
- Develop and implement strategies for community outreach to promote Farmers’ Markets to CalFresh recipients.
- Must be at least 17 years of age. Must be a High School graduate or equivalent (GED/CHSPE) by May 31st, 2016.
- Bi-lingual a plus
- Must be courteous and outgoing, and enjoy meeting and talking with new people
- Basic math skills are very important.
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Self motivated with good work habits. Able to stay on task without constant supervision.
- A plus if you are able to transport equipment to market each week (fits in most cars).
LOCATION and SCHEDULE:
Most work will take place at the market. The market locations/times with available internship openings are:
- Cesar Chavez Farmers’ Market, located in Cesar Chavez between I and J Streets and 9th and 10th in Downtown Sacramento, 10:00am-1:30pm on Wednesdays
- Florin Farmers’ Market, located at Florin Road & 65th Street, 8:00am-12:00pm on Thursdays
- Fremont Farmers’ Market, located in Fremont Park between P and Q Streets and 15th and 16th in Sacramento, 10:00am-1:30pm on Tuesdays
- Sunrise Lightrail Station Farmers’ Market, located at Sunrise and Folsom in Rancho Cordova, 7:30am-1:00pm on Saturdays
You will additionally be expected to work four hours/week (usually on a weekday during regular business hours) for conducting outreach (some of which can be conducted from home).
HOURLY COMMITMENT: ~10 hours/week
To apply email your resume to: Davida Douglas, Executive Director, Alchemist Community Development Corporation: davida(at)alchemistcdc(dot)org